Sunday 27 May 2012

The Sandsucker CHARLES DICK (Revisited)


Not much was happening on West Street in Port Colborne, Ontario when I took this photo back in 1974. The downbound bulk carrier NORTHERN VENTURE was slowly making her way in off Lake Erie and sitting on the wall was a cluster of Minor Brothers fish tugs, the laid up sandsucker, CHARLES DICK, and an old American laker that was waiting for her time to be towed to a downbound destination to be scrapped. For over 50 years since being built in 1922, the self unloading sandsucker CHARLES DICK enjoyed what it did best, suck sand from the bottom of Lake Erie, a lake known for its shallow depths and abundance of sand. As a kid, I remember seeing the DICK coming in off the lake so low in the water that I was certain it was about to sink right then and there. Later I would see her discarding her valuable cargo at the cement plant dock near Bridge #20, the train lift bridge which has been gone for several years. 
One day in 1973 while working for the Leamington Post and living on the lake, I was happy to see the CHARLES DICK tied up to the Leamington dock, and soon I completed this a pen & ink/watercolour painting of my unexpected visitor. If I recall, due to beach erosion and other issues, Lake Erie sandsucking became prohibited which shortly left the DICK laid up and idle on the West Street wall in Port Colborne. In 1976, the CHARLES DICK was towed through the Welland Canal's Lock 8 in Port Colborne and left at Ramey's Bend where it was scrapped in 1977. Time changes and eras end for us all.
In ballast and the upbound CHARLES DICK approaches the Welland Canal's Lock 2 in St. Catharines on August 2, 1970. Photo by Ron Ruck, from Late Ron Ruck Collection, courtesy of Brad Jolliffe, Cambridge, Ontario
BTW, to view thousands of Great Lakes ship photos both modern and vintage, be sure to checkout http://www.greatlakesships.ca or http://www.oceanships.ca for photos of ships from elsewhere around the world. You'll be Glad You Did!!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the memories my dad was Chief on the Old Dick in the 60's. I spent a few weeks each summer on her. I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Joe. I really appreciate your comment and I'm glad you like my post. Wow, what an experience that must have been for you, to spend some of your summers on the olld Charles Dick. That was one working ship so I bet your dad had a few chores for you back then. I'm sure she bounced around pretty good out on Lake Erie too? Anyhow, take care and all the best to you, Carl

      Delete
    2. Actually it was all fun & games for little Joey. I spent all my time in the Wheelhouse or with the Operators (the guys who loaded & unloaded). A long time ago. Thanks

      Delete
    3. I am so glad it was "all fun & games for little Joey" instead of being put to work. That must of been so memorable. WOW!

      Delete
    4. It was cool for sure. While she loaded off Pt. Peele Capt. John Leonard would take me with him in the outboard and I'd get to play on the beach. My last summer was between gd's 7-8 (1970). I've always told people I had some pretty good summers back then.

      Delete
  2. My Dad Leaonard Whincop worked the Charles Dick we use to run up the Welland Canal in order to see him. I remember my Dad carrying me up the rope ladder up the side. Spent a lot of time in the galley so with the cook. My Dad had fond memories of Captain John Leonard. Spent many happy times running the sand piles waiting from my Dad to dock for our visit. Cindy Whincop Meloche

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thanks for sharing this with me. Seems like we had a lot of fun with our dads back then, eh? I lost mine 23 years ago but I still remember riding bridge 21 or walking lock 8 with him like it was yesterday. Take care, Carl

      Delete